Wednesday, May 10, 2017

My SURPRISE trip to Waco, Texas!!

Well, I woke up on my 30th birthday (March 23) with the biggest surprise ever. Adam had been hinting for about a week leading up to my birthday that I would really like my birthday present. Typically for birthdays, we don't go all out when it comes to gifts. Maybe shoes, a monogrammed hat, etc. Just small things that don't cost a lot. I remembered mentioning I wanted some new tennis shoes and when he kept saying it was going to be a surprise, I assumed it was a pair of shoes and I asked if I could at least try them on first-HA. He ended up telling me it was nothing to wear so I threw the shoe idea out the window. I couldn't imagine what in the world he had up his sleeve. We had a trip planned to visit my brother and his family in Florida the last part of Spring Break, and we had already filled up the first 5 days of break with things we needed to get done, taking kids the ball practices, birthday dinner at my parents, etc. Well, as soon as I woke up, I opened up my cards. He pulled two cards out and told me to open the one from my parents first. I thought it was totally strange he had my card from my parents. I would normally get that while we do a birthday dinner together but I noticed my moms handwriting on the envelope. He started laughing and told me to open their's first, so I did. I read the card and a printed piece of paper was folded up within the card. I opened it to read and saw the word "Waco". I continued to read on and it was my reservation for Waco Tours (www.waco-tours.com). I knew what it was due to the fact my mom visited Waco a few weeks prior and absolutely raved about the tour her and Dianne took. (thanks mom and dad for my tour!) My eyes I know about popped out of my head. I then opened his card and he explained within the card where we were going... on Saturday- just two days after my birthday! Y'all, I cried. I have never been so shocked or surprised in my life. He planned and booked everything! I was so grateful for his thoughtfulness and willingness to plan this special trip for my birthday. All the "things" we had planned to do during the first part of our break was never going to happen he informed me. He and my mom just played along with everything. So, I had 2 days to process everything and 2 days to work, do our Crossfit Open commitment, pack for the kids, pack for us, take kids to ball practice, clean up the house a little and get ready to catch a flight for 6:50 AM on Saturday, March 25. My dad picked up Adalyn and Landon after his t-ball practice Friday night, Adam and I headed to Crossfit, then home to pack for our trip. We finally got into bed around 11:00 and left our house at 4:15 am. Jerry was gracious enough to wake up way before the sun and drive us to the airport. 

Our flight took off and I slept the entire way. It's a quick flight to Dallas so it wasn't bad at all. We picked up our rental car and off we went to WACO! It's about a 2 hour drive from Dallas, and though I am not a "road trip" type of girl, I really enjoyed seeing parts of Texas as we made the drive. Of course I guess I may need to say this trip to Waco was for Magnolia, The Silos, Chip and Joanna, antiquing and good eating. I noticed on some of my Facebook posts that very few people had no idea where The Silos were or what Magnolia was. I couldn't help but to laugh. So for readers sake, that's what the purpose of our trip was for! If you ever visit Waco, I would strongly urge you to read Joanna's book, The Magnolia Story. I read it in 2 days, I could NOT put it down! It made me love them even more. By reading the book, you learn that their kids school is right beside The Silos, that she and Chip met at a Firestone tire shop that her dad owned and she worked at (we saw the store while we were there, too!) she talks about their faith, raising their children, and the fact that Chip left their oldest son Duke in the swing as an infant to run to the store to get a few groceries while Joanna left to go on a run. He was asleep and still so new, that he totally forgot him. HA! I laughed out loud when I got to that part. So anyway, the book is a must. Buy it or borrow from someone- you will not be disappointed and you will love the town of Waco just by reading the book.

So, enough talk and on to the pictures. I took a million, but I'll TRY to limit how many I upload. haha

Off to Waco we go!

Made me think we were back in Tennessee ;)
 Our first sighting of the Silos! This was on Saturday and their website recommends coming early or late as they see thousands come through their doors on a Saturday! The amount of people we saw as we drove by was crazy. We ate lunch, shopped at The Findery and Spice Village (oh my goodness-the cutest stores ever!!) and then headed to the hotel to nap for a bit before going back to visit the grounds. Once we arrived, around 4:45 or so, the crowds were basically gone! They close at 6:00, so getting there at that time on a Saturday was absolutely perfect.


Directly behind The Silos!

I took random pictures from all the adorable stores we shopped at. Waco is EAT UP with antique and farmhouse themed stores. You will drool at every store you walk into.


















Adam loves these hanging baskets

The landscape and details around the property was simply amazing.

And this is what you see as soon as you walk in Magnolia Market.
Ahhhhh








Do you guys remember the "shotgun" house episode?! We randomly stumbled across it as we were driving to The Silos. It's literally right beside the property in the strangest part of town.  Some parts of Waco were more on the ghetto side so this house was moved to the oddest area! The original owners no longer live there.

Know the antique store Chip and Jo always go in? Chip normally tries on some old costume and acts crazy the entire time they shop- haha well this is the store! We also learned they are opened 1 MAYBE 2 days a month. We were there towards the end of March and the owner happened to walk outside and we asked when they would be opened again and he said towards the end of April. So, if you plan a trip, it would be sooo worth it to try and figure out when the store will be open so you can shop while you're visiting!



Saturday night after we left The Silos, we ate at Ninfa's, a Mexican restaurant downtown. The weather was amazing the entire time we were there so we ate on the patio and our view was the famous Alico building you see in every episode. 

Sunday we slept in and stopped at Baylor to walk the campus before we went to a few antique stores. Our tour was on Sunday at 2, and a few of the stores we visited opened at 12 so it worked out perfectly.

I know I keep saying this but they stores in Waco were to die for. Adam and I kept saying we should rent a U-haul to drive home!














 On the tour, we stopped at Heritage Creamery and right beside that is Common Grounds, the famous coffee shop that is well known in Waco and especially for Baylor students. Chip and Jo did a house for the owners of Common Grounds. When you take the tour, you get a free cup of ice cream or a free coffee- so awesome!


 Antioch Community Church-where they attend Church

Remember this house?! It was done for Sara Lucado, Max Lucado's daughter!

I'm not a modern person but we did get to drive by the modern makeover they did.

One of my favorite houses- David Ridley's house. He is part owner of Waco-Tours and my mom and Dianne were able to meet him and peek through his windows! He was out of town the weekend we were there. If you can recall, his dad wanted to surprise him and put in a sand volleyball court and basketball court in the backyard.


We then drove through Castle Heights neighborhood. If you read the book, you know this is where Chip and Jo lived before moving to the farm house. She says in the book she absolutely loved the house and really assumed they would be there forever.

This "house" is the reason the neighborhood is called, "Castle Heights".

And this was their house! I couldn't get a good shot of it but it was so beautiful.

After the tour, we hit up another big antique store and then stopped in a cute candy store called, "Hey Sugar". We found a Sun Drop on display! All the way in Texas! That definitely called for a photo op.

 Here we are at "Lovers Leap" in Cameron Park.

 The history Waco has is mind blowing. We learned SO much on the 3 hour tour. It was the best thing we did!



 I LOVE my pillow!
 So many fun photo opportunities around the property!

This is Monday morning. We arrived around 8:15 and see quiet everthing seems? The grounds and bakery open at 7:30, but the market doesn't open until 9:00. We wanted to be sure we visited the bakery but didn't feel like waiting in a huge line! Arriving around 8:15 when we did was perfect. We walked straight in with maybe 10 people in front of us.




 My mom told me to check out the bathroom so of course, I did! It was adorable!
 I got a chocolate chip cookie and Adam got this strawberry cupcake. Cakes aren't my thing but I at least had to have my picture with one of her famous creations!
 My view as I ate my HUGE chocolate chip cookie at 8:30 in the morning-lol


 The outdoor restrooms
 The garden area was stunning!

 It was so surreal being inside the bakery after seeing the episode of Chip and Jo getting it fixed up!


 #816.4miles

Next up, Harp Design Co.! We walked to the back of the building and watched them work on sanding tables. We didn't see Clint, but it was neat to watch how they get it done!



 This is Clint's house that Chip and Jo remodeled. It is right beside his shop, however; they do not live there anymore. They rent it out on airbnb.

Each night we found a local restaurant to try and let me tell you, they did not disappoint!! There were SOO many options in Waco to choose from. They are covered with amazing places to eat!

And this was probably the most exciting part... after LOTS of research, Adam found where Chip and Jo live. We checked it out around 9:30 on this particular morning and they were filming! Their driveway was full of cars and you will notice a super bright light in their backyard as well. They were filming! We saw all kinds of movement in the backyard, just couldn't make out faces. We also saw two kids run out of the front door and who I think was Emmie, picked up her bike and took off. It was so cute. Another check off the bucket list!







Next stop, The Magnolia House. No guests were there when we stopped by and you will notice a house in the back yard... that's the caretakers home! Pretty neat. Everything was stunning. Every little detail on the outside had been taken care of- it was gorgeous!






We stopped at a few antique stores after we stopped at the Magnolia House and then went to The Silos for the afternoon. 



I can't even express how awesome the area of Waco is! So so many shops and I'm pretty sure I drooled in every one of them.

That afternoon we hung out on the lawn, played corn hole, ate, shopped and just enjoyed being together.


We have an old pig feeder EXACTLY like this so guess what we will be imitating?!?! Such a good idea!








Adam pulled the surprise of all surprises off and I am SO thankful for him and all the thought and preparation he put into our trip. It was a fun getaway together! I cannot WAIT to go back!!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...