Monday, September 9, 2013

Sidewalk Chalk Paint

Ok, listen up! If you have little kids, this is a must. I know this has been all over Pinterest and I'm sure most of you have probably already tried this, but for those who haven't yet, you need to! We are outside a lot. I mean a lot. I came across this on a blog the other day and thought it would be so easy to make. Adalyn and I went shopping with my mom Saturday and as soon as we got off the interstate, I headed over to dollar general to get our supplies. This is all you need to make sidewalk chalk paint:

                                                          - 1 cup corn starch
                                                          -1 cup water
                                                           - Food coloring
                                                           - Plastic cups
                                                             - Sponge brushes

That's it! Just mix corn starch and water in a bowl. I used 6 plastic cups I had on hand and poured the mixture evenly. Then I let Adalyn squeeze in the food coloring in each cup. We mixed red and yellow together for orange and blue and green together for purple. Adalyn loved helping with this.

You see 5 cups here. Where is the 6th cup you ask? Adalyn spilled it and the majority of it landed on my hand. I was a nice shade of green :)

I bought cheap paint brushes at Dollar General because I wasn't sure what would be best to use. They worked just ok. I went inside and got our package of  sponge brushes and those are definitely the tool to use! I had just as much fun "painting" as Adalyn (and Landon!) did. 





It kind of goes on light at first, but quickly turns bright and bold! The colors were beautiful!



After Landon decided he was finished with his Popsicle, he wanted to paint, too.






In the last picture you can see what Landon is about to do... drink it. We obviously told him no, but if they were to get it in their mouth, it really wouldn't be a big deal. Remember, it's just corn starch, water, and food coloring! Totally safe and does not stain. My hand was pretty much solid green from where Adalyn accidentally spilled one cup, but after I gave the kids a bath, I noticed it was completely gone and I didn't even try to scrub it off. 

Here is our master piece :)

This was such a fun activity! You should try it- your kids (and you) will love it, too!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...