Saturday, November 13, 2010

Adalyn's Birth Story...All because two people fell in love

In my previous blog I wrote about Thursday, November 12, 2009 which was my last full day of being pregnant and also the fact that I wasn't allowed to eat after 12 Noon that day. After we were finished with lunch, I went home and relaxed the rest of the afternoon. We were to be at Baptist Hospital at 7:00 PM to be admitted in the hospital. At 5:00 that afternoon, I took a shower, straightened my hair and applied my make-up. Yes, I did all that because I was thinking ahead as to how many pictures would be taken once Adalyn was here! haha. For all who know me, you know that is no surprise. We put our bags and diaper bag in the truck, along with your carseat, and off we were to Nashville. On the ride there, Adam and I talked about how we just could not believe it was TIME to do this! We held hands the whole way and talked about how things would be changing...a lot. But, we were ready. Once we arrived at the hospital, we parked, and walked right in to the labor and delivery floor. 7:00 is right at shift change for the nurses so we had to wait for quite some time. Which was fine by me, Grey's Anatomy was due to be on at 8:00 anyway so we made ourselves comfortable in the waiting room. Wait, maybe I should rephrase that. Adam made himself comfortable. I was 40 weeks pregnant and HUGE. Those chairs are NOT comfortable for someone who is about to give birth. Anyway, I made the best out of it. I tried my hardest to pay attention to Grey's but just couldn't. I had so many thoughts going through my head and I kept turning around looking for a nurse to come in and get us.Finally, they had a room ready for us. We had toured the hospital a few weeks prior so I was real excited to walk in and see a HUGE room waiting for us. I seriously felt like I was checking into a hotel. Once I got changed, I hopped, or more like waddled, into bed and the nurse gave me an IV and hooked me up to monitor to track your heartbeat and my contractions. She explained what things meant on the monitor so whenever Adam and I would look at it, we atleast knew what we were looking for and what it all meant. She then started a low dose of pitocin and from then on, it was a waiting game. By this time it was after 9:00 so Adam and I decided we better try and get some sleep. Adam layed down on his couch/bed and I was thankfully pretty comfortable in the hospital bed. I slept on and off throughout the night. Same with Adam. Every 30 mintues my stupid blood pressure cuff went off so that would wake me up everytime. They ended up having to get a child's blood pressue cuff b/c the adult size was way to big for my arm! That night I was up and down going to the bathroom alot. When you have a baby so low and right on your bladder, you better believe you will pee a lot. I also ate my fair share of popcicles and ice chips. The nurse came in during the night and slowly increased my pitcoin. Contractions were still very bearable then. Morning came, and we were waiting on Dr. Thornburg to come in at 7:30 AM to break my water. She asked if I wanted the epidural first and I said no. I actually wanted to feel SOME sort of labor pain just to say I did. ha. After she did that, she went to the office because she was seeing patients that day so we were still playing the waiting game. My parents came in not too long after my water had been broken, then Adam's parents came. Like I said, my contractions were not bad at all...UNTIL she broke my water! and OH MY GOSH! Talk about pain. They were coming SO fast I barely had time to breathe inbetween contractions. They were coming every 1-2 mintues. I finally asked for my epidural and thankfully he was in my room within mintues. He was a young guy, I could tell. I recall looking at this name tag and seeing, "Student" on it and I thought, oh crap! I didnt say anything so he went on to introduce himself and he told me he was a student in his last semester of anesthesia school and that if I prefer someone else give it, he could get someone. I immediately told him no, that he could do it. I mean, he was almost done with school and you have to get all the practice you can, right? I was just in so much pain I did not care if a janitor gave it to me at that point. It seemed like it took him forever to get his things set up. I know it really didn't, but when you are hurting, it seems like a life time. I remember right before he was about to do it, I got a contraction and told him not to do it. As SOON as it was over, he went in for the kill. He did a great job. It hurt a little, but good grief, not near as bad as what I was going through. They layed me back down, and I immediately started to feel numb in my lower limbs. After a few minutes, they were poking my legs and my left leg was not as numb as my right. I immediately thought, Oh no. I'm one of THOSE women whose epidural won't fully take and I'll be able to feel all of this! No worries though, they had me to lay on my side and just like that, I was numb as could be. Once they all left and our parents came back in the room, I was a different person! I was so relaxed and was able to talk, laugh and read a magazine all the while I was dilating without the pain. =) The nurse came in a little while later to check the progression. Our parents stepped out and I remember Adam and the nurse moving my legs and I grabbed them and said, "oh my gosh Adam. Are my legs really as FAT as they feel?" He and the nursed laughed. It's like when you go to the dentist and have a cavity filled, your jaw/cheeks feel huge but they reall aren't. Then at 12:48 PM, the nurse checked me one more time and I was at a 10! She said," You're at a ten! Time to push!" I was like, whoa, you must be kidding me?! She wanted me to practice pushing a few times with her. I had a mirror so I could watch which was amazing! They called Dr. Thornburg to let her know I was ready to push so she left her office and headed over to deliver! She got there at 1:30, I pushed a few more times and at 1:43 PM on November 13, 2009, I was holing my little girl in my arms. Adalyn was crying, I was crying, Adam was crying. It was a beautiful moment and a moment I will never forget and think about just about every single day. Adalyn, you came into this world weighing 8 lbs 2.5 oz and was 21.5 inches long! When they told me how big you were, I remember saying, "See Adam, I told you I was miserable!" haha. After they layed her on my chest, (which was the best moment I have ever experienced) they took her over to the heating table and cleaned her up. Adam followed and recorded some of that while Dr. Thornburg stitched me up. On that day our lives were forever changed, and we thank God for blessing us with such a beautiful, healthy baby girl.

Ready for Adalyn!



She's HERE!



First Clark family photo





Mommy and Daddy holding our baby for the 1st time




After an hour or two, the nurse helped me to nurse you and afterwards you fell fast asleep. We had lots of visitors that evening and throughout the weekend to meet you.

Thank you Adalyn for being you. You are our life and love you so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...